The ICPEM annual award has been established in order to recognise significant contributions in the field of emergency management.
The intention of the Committee in giving this award is to provide formal recognition of activities undertaken which are in keeping with the aims and objectives of the Institute and also to encourage further activities in fulfillment of these.
Guidelines for the Award
The Executive Council of the ICPEM shall act as Awards Committee and shall consider nominations for the award on an annual basis.
Nominations for the award may be based on contributions to the field in various forms, including research activity/publications, programme and policy advancement and/or professional development of the field. The form of contribution is deliberately non-prescriptive in recognition of the fact that contributions to this field may vary while still meeting the broad intentions of the award.
In order to be considered for an award a nominee's work must be evidenced through a written nomination (see below).
- Nominators and nominees need not be members of the Institute.
- The awards committee can itself generate nominations as well as obtaining them in whatever way it deems feasible from the broader emergency management community
- Anyone wishing to be considered as a nominee themselves must be supported by a formal nominator
- Members of the Awards Committee may not be considered for the Award during their time of office
- A nominee considered one year but not given the award is eligible in future years
- There will be no more than one award a year.
- While possible nominees are to be considered every year, no award need be made if the Committee decide that none of the nominations in any given year meet the established criteria
Criteria for Evaluating Nominations
A nomination will be considered eligible for this award on the basis if the awards committee are satisfied it meets the following criteria:
1. The nominator presents a clear written statement, in no more than 400 words, supporting the view that the work of the nominee fulfils the mission, vision and objectives of the ICPEM wholly or in part.
2. The Mission, Vision and Objectives can be seen elsewhere under the Home Tab on the Institute’s website (www.theicpem.net).
3. The nomination includes appropriate references/evidence in support of the statement.
4. The nominee is NOT a member of the Awards Committee.
5. The nomination must be received by the Membership Secretary by 31 December of the year in which the award is being made, i.e. if it is for 2019, it must be received by 31 December 2019.
Presentation of the Award
Details of the winner will be announced prior to the Annual Conference at which the award will be made. The award consists of the presentation of the Welsh Crystal Trophy, on which the winners name will be engraved on the base. This remains the property of the Institute and will be retained by it. In addition, the winner will be presented with a small plaque and a signed certificate, on which the award will be clearly identified.
The decision of the Awards Committee shall be final. Any matter not set out in these principles, such as the specifics of the criteria used in making the award, are left to the discretion of the Awards Committee.